image
image

image
image
 

Michigan State Agricultural College

BY PRESIDENT ABBOT

The chapel was then where it is now, except that the desk was on the north side, and was simply the lecture table of the class room in chemistry; the chemical laboratory occupied the north half of the first floor. The library occupied the northeast and the museum the northwest corner rooms of the upper floor. Mr. Holmes reported the plans also for the dining hall and dormitory—a building since consumed by fire. The report was adopted. Mr. S. M. Bartlett, of Monroe, was appointed superintendent of the buildings. January 21, 1857, the board of education made a communication to the legislature in which they announced that the west wing and the boarding hall were nearly completed, and that they had expended about $10, 500 for the farm and $84, 774. 19 for buildings and improvements. A brick barn had been erected. The building is now used as a carpenter's shop.
ORGANIC LAW OF 1855.
This law continued in force until March 15, 1861. Besides providing for the selection of a site, the act proceeded to place the college to be established under the direction and control of the State board of education, an elective board of three members, having charge of the State normal school, and having the superintendent of public instruction for its secretary ex officio. The course of instruction was to include "an English and scientific course, natural philosophy, chemistry, botany, animal and vegetable physiology, geology, mineralogy, meteorology, entomology, veterinary art, mensuration, leveling, and political economy, with book-keeping, and the mechanic arts which are directly connected with agriculture, and such other studies as the board of education may from time to time see fit to prescribe, having reference to the objects specified in the previous section. "

Michigan State


Page 22


 


image



Please consider making a donation to help offset expenses to keep this site online.
Thank you



image
image
image

Site Map | Chapter Index | MICHIGAN
Counties | Towns | The Blackhawk War | Southwestern michigan | Early Recollections | | Bagley | Eldorado | New Life | Navarre
Maxwell | Territorial Road| Pioneer Life | Battle Creek | Stebbins | William Burt | Pilcher | Chase | Lamb
image