image
image

image
image
 

BRANCH COUNTY

1833 QUINCY

During '38 there were not many changes. Mr. Smith of Adrian, son-in-law of Father Clizbe, bought the Perry property and put a small stock of boots and shoes in it, and Lyman Clizbe sold the goods, the first mercantile business of any kind in Quincy, and this was on a small scale and lasted but a year or two Mr. Himrod moved into the Cornish cabin and in '40 put up a house near where Mr. Shearer now lives. During the summer Miss Anna Roberts of Coldwater taught the first school within our limits, in Mr. Brough-ton's house. In the fall a log school-house was built near where the depot now stands. Death came this summer, and the neighborhood paused in its busy toil to lay away its dead. Mrs. Robinson came with her husband and family to the hotel, and there she died, as Rachel of old, and she was the first to be buried in the old grave-yard. Father Clizbe officiated, and stood with the bereaved father and husband by the open and new-made grave. Soon her child "fell asleep" and was laid beside its mother. Early in the spring of 1839. James Clizbe, son of Father Clizbe, died; and on March 23 Mr. and Mrs. Broughton laid their little son, Johnnie "Beneath the low green tent Whose curtain never outward swings. " William P. Arnold, believing there would be a town here at no distant day, sold his property in Coldwater and bought in Quincy, and built the house where he now lives. He has been identified largely with the development of our village. Most of the facts in this history were gathered in conversation with him.

www.pure-michigan.com


Page 9


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
 






Please consider making a donation to help keep these sites alive.
Thank you



image
image
image

Site Map | Chapter Index | MICHIGAN
Old Capitol | Female College | Early Press 2| My Michigan |County Bar | County BarII | County Bar III | Asylum | Bazil | Ohio Boundary | Western Michigan | John Barry | Wyandotte | Port Huron | Saginaw Valley
image