Michigan BRANCH COUNTY
The names of Joseph Corbus and John Cornish appeared in the company from
James M. Burdick, now our fellow townsman, who, with his father, had
gone east in February, and married in March, was returning with his effects
to Allen's. Before he reached his destination he was taken from his bride
and companions and hurried on to Niles, where the militia were ordered to
Report themselves for duty.
But the war was not a bloody one, and was soon over. They were mustered out on June 3d and returned to their anxious families. The news of the Black Hawk war was a great check on immigration, and the stages which had been overcrowded were taken off for want of passenger
But this same summer Mr. Ellis Russell came, and afterwards kept tavern for Mrs. Wilson, Mr. Wilson having died at Ypsilanti on his way to Detroit, whither his body was taken for burial.
In June, James G. Corbus and wife came from the east, and spent the summer in working on the Chicago road, near Bronson. In the fall he entered land in section thirteen, and the next summer built a frame house almost opposite Maple street, part of which is still standing, the oldest structure in the township. Here was organized afterwards the first Sabbath-school and the first temperance society, and James Clizbe was the superintendent.
On June 29, '32, the Territorial legislature divided our county into two townships, the eastern half to be called Coldwater, and the western, Prairie River. Previous to this, the whole territory was known as the town of Green. On October 16, 1832, John Cornish entered the southwest corner of section 15, the south line being a little south of Mr. Lennon's carriage factory, and the west line what is now Main street, on which the eastern part of our village
BRANCH COUNTY MICHIGAN
If you find this information helpful please consider making a donation