image
image

image
image
 

PORT HURON, MICHIGAN

BY MRS. B. C. FARRAND

Possessing a small degree of the antiquarian spirit, the writer has spent a few hours in a similar way, and brings now to you the resultant gleaning. The Otsiheta has become the St. Clair; Fort St. Joseph has passed away; La riviere DeLude is exchanged for Black River, and "Down at the Mouth" has been christened Desmond. Who gave the name, or what its meaning, must be left for some future historian or later revelation.
From official record we learn that on March 28, 1820, by proclamation of Hon. Lewis Cass, governor of the territory of Michigan, St. Clair county was organized, and the county seat designated at Palmer, which should be the permanent county seat as soon as a jail could be built, and on Dec. 3, 1821, the record reads: "Allowance to James Fulton for building the jail. $35. 00. (Mr. Charles Phillips, the blacksmith, made the lock for the door. )': Most of the record for five years, is of bounties ordered or paid on wolves. The bounty for a full grown wolf was always double that for one six months old, and was from one dollar upwards. On one occasion eight dollars was paid to one individual for wolf scalps. County expenses were then very small, but increased each year. For 1822, they were $100; for 1823, $150. In 1822, th« county was divided into three districts: First, Plainfield; Second, Cottrell ville; Third, St. Clair, which latter included all the country north of Cottrell ville. The southern part of the county was more settled than the north, which was a Wilderness without roads or bridges. In 1826 the township of St Clair was divided into districts No. 1 and No. 2, the latter including "al the inhabitants to the extremity of the settlements, including those who re side on the banks of Black river above the northwest corner of John Riley's fence, " and as St. Clair county then comprised an extent of 1, 500 miles, and contained only eighty families, it seems to us a very minute boundary is used in the description.

MICHIGAN


Page 2


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
 


image



Please consider making a donation to help offset expenses to keep this site online.
Thank you



image
image
image

Site Map | Chapter Index | MICHIGAN
Counties | Towns | The Blackhawk War | Southwestern michigan | Early Recollections | | Bagley | Eldorado | New Life | Navarre
Maxwell | Territorial Road| Pioneer Life | Battle Creek | Stebbins | William Burt | Pilcher | Chase | Lamb
image