image
image

image
image
 

MICHIGAN AS A PROVINCE 1 - 5


In April, 1675, he started for St. Ignace, this time coasting around the upper shore of Lake Michigan and following the eastern shore where the currents were more favorable for the oarsmen. They traveled by day and camped at night, passing the mouths of the St. Joseph, Kalamazoo, Grand and Muskegon. Marquette was so feeble that he must be carried by his attendants from boat to camp and back to boat again. When they reached the mouth of the Pere Marquette where now stands the city of Ludington he told his companions that he could go no further. Accordingly they built a rude cabin of bark in which the beloved priest was made as comfortable as circumstances would permit. He lingered but a little while, however, and on the evening of the 18th of May, 1675, he expired. His body was buried where he died and a large cross was erected to mark the grave. The following year friendly Indians visited the spot, disinterred the body and carried it to St. Ignace where it was honored with funeral ceremonies and again interred in a vault beneath the chapel. Fire destroyed the little chapel in 1700. But in 1877 Father Jacker, then in charge of the parish', was able to identify the exact site of the grave and a marble monument was erected thereon.

MICHIGAN


Page 16


 


image



Please consider making a donation to help offset expenses to keep this site online.
Thank you



image
image
image

Site Map | Chapter Index | MICHIGAN
Counties | Towns | The Blackhawk War | Southwestern michigan | Early Recollections | | Bagley | Eldorado | New Life | Navarre
Maxwell | Territorial Road| Pioneer Life | Battle Creek | Stebbins | William Burt | Pilcher | Chase | Lamb
image