image
image

image
image
 

Michigan

Jackson

THE ELECTRIC TELEGRAPH.
The first line of telegraph was completed to Jackson in January, 1848, and the first message was sent and received on the 12th day of that month. The marvelous results following the introduction of telegraphy can only be realized by understanding the extent of its use in the transaction of all kinds of the business of the county, both public and private. The trains on all important railroads are run by telegraph. Its use enters into the transaction of all important sales between parties at a distance. Daily telegraphic reports are in all cities published of all important markets, of the weather and of the general news from all parts of the world. Business men have lines from their offices to their manufactories, from their houses to their places of business, to the police, hackstands, fire department, messenger boys, and almost every other conceivable purpose of utility or convenience.

Jackson
Section 4


Page 16


 


image



Please consider making a donation to help offset expenses to keep this site online.
Thank you



image
image
image

Site Map | Chapter Index | MICHIGAN
Counties | Towns | The Blackhawk War | Southwestern michigan | Early Recollections | | Bagley | Eldorado | New Life | Navarre
Maxwell | Territorial Road| Pioneer Life | Battle Creek | Stebbins | William Burt | Pilcher | Chase | Lamb
image