image
image

image
image
 

Michigan

Jackson

THE JACKSON, LANSING AND SAGINAW RAILROAD.
The Jackson and Lansing Railroad was organized February 23,1864, with H. A. Hayden for president and W. D. Thompson for treasurer, which offices these gentlemen still continue to fill. The name was changed to Jackson, Lansing and Saginaw Railroad February 24, 1865. This road was completed to Mason in 1865, to Lansing in 1866, and to We- ' nona, on Saginaw bay, December 6, 1867.
In 1866 this company purchased the franchises and land grant of the Amboy, Lansing and Traverse Bay Railroad Company, including the road already built from Owosso to Lansing, and in July, 1873, finished the road to Gaylord, 236 miles north from Jackson, and will undoubtedly, at no distant day, extend their line to the straits of Mackinac. The city of Jackson, by a vote of its electors, subscribed $50,000 to the capital stock of this company, and without this action on their part the road could not probably have been built at this time, if at all. Large subscriptions to the stock were also made by the citizens of Jackson.

Jackson
Section 3


Page 7


 


image



Please consider making a donation to help offset expenses to keep this site online.
Thank you



image
image
image

Site Map | Chapter Index | MICHIGAN
Counties | Towns | The Blackhawk War | Southwestern michigan | Early Recollections | | Bagley | Eldorado | New Life | Navarre
Maxwell | Territorial Road| Pioneer Life | Battle Creek | Stebbins | William Burt | Pilcher | Chase | Lamb
image