image
image

image
image
 

Michigan

Jackson

Samuel O. Knapp came to Jackson in 1844 and took charge of the manufacturing of woolen goods in the state prison. In 1848 he went Lake Superior and took charge of the valuable " Minnesota mine," which he was largely interested, and from which he derived a compe tence. Mr. Knapp was for four years a member of the board of pulic works and president of the school board of district No. 1 for several years He has given much attention to horticulture, and is an active and valu able member of the State Pomological society. He is in politics a repub lican, and is one of the pillars of the Methodist church in Jackson, of which denomination he has been a member for forty-six years. Rev. Daniel T. Grinnell, D. D., came to Jackson in 1847, and took charge of St. Paul's Episcopal church, of which he remained the active faithful and successful rector for twenty-one years, and until he was re moved by death in 1868. He found the society and. parish poor and feeble; he left it zealous and prosperous.

Jackson
Section 3


Page 38