image
image

image
image
 

Michigan

Jackson

FIRE DEPARTMENT. The first fire company in Jackson was organized in 1843, with Peter E. DeMill as foreman. The first engine, " Protection No. 1," was a goose neck. The fire department was reorganized in 1856, the old engine sold to the state for the use of the prison, and two new engines purchased—• "Protection No. 1," J. B. Tomlinson, foreman; and "Neptune No. 2," L. A. Pennoyer, foreman. In 1858 the third engine was bought—" Liberty, '76," Calvin T. Beebe, foreman. This engine was sold in 1865 to the city of Marshall. In 1866 the name of " Neptune" was changed to Germania. Three hose companies were formed—" Protection No. 1," Charles Beebe,. foreman; " Germania No. 2," George Fleisher, foreman; and " Liberty '76," Edwin Hague, foreman. Peter B. Loomis was first chief engineer Annual Meeting op 1878. 327 in 1857. He served two years, and was succeeded by Henry A. Hayden, who served in 1860-1. In 1861 T. E. Hayes was elected chief engineer. He performed his duty in a manner so satisfactory that he was re-elected annually to the time of his death. He was succeeded by Thomas Bud- ington.

Jackson
Section 3


Page 28