image
image

image
image
 

Michigan

Jackson

This paper was published until, some time after the election of Taylor and Fillmore, and was then sold to Munger & Pattison, state printers, and removed to Lansing. Mr. Dorrance purchased the "Gazette" and changed the name to the "Citizen on the 15th of August, 1849. Mr. Dorrance subsequently sold the "Citizen" to C. V. DeLand, who published it for a number of years, and then sold it to Dr. W. C. Smith, and from him it passed in April, 1864, into the hands of Mr. Jas. O'Donnell, by whom it has been since published. The publication of the "Daily Citizen" was commenced by Mr. O'Donnell March 27, 1865, and was the first successful effort to publish a daily paper in Jackson.
MICHIGAN FARMER.
The "Farmer " was established and published in Jackson as a monthly, by D. D. T. Moore, and sold to Mr. Hurlburt in 1844, by whom it was edited for two years, and then by Hurlbut and Williams, by whom it was sold to Warren Isham. In the latter part of 1846, or early in 1847, the "Farmer" was removed to Detroit, when, in 1853 it passed into the hands of R. F. Johnstone, under whose control it has since remained, having been published weekly since 1858.

Jackson
Section 3


Page 22


 


image



Please consider making a donation to help offset expenses to keep this site online.
Thank you



image
image
image

Site Map | Chapter Index | MICHIGAN
Counties | Towns | The Blackhawk War | Southwestern michigan | Early Recollections | | Bagley | Eldorado | New Life | Navarre
Maxwell | Territorial Road| Pioneer Life | Battle Creek | Stebbins | William Burt | Pilcher | Chase | Lamb
image