image
image

image
image
 

Michigan

Jackson

EAST SIDE.
In 1836 Messrs. Ganson, Clark and Munroe built the furnace and machine shop between the race and the river, and commenced the manufacture of plows, and the making of such other castings as the business of the country required. This building is still standing and occupied for like purposes. The first frame building erected on the east side of the river was the store built by Mr. William Ford, in which a stock of goods was placed by Ford & Budington. Two other frame buildings, both of which are still standing were built on Main street on the east side in 1836. the Grand River House, on the corner of Main and Milwaukee streets, was also built this year by Mr. Andrew Shaver, who had just decided to make this place his home, and who joined Mr. Fifield in building this house for the accommodation of boarders, they being principally those employed by the Messrs. Ford in building the flouring mill, the store, ana in making other improvements. This house was opened as a hotel in 1838, is still standing, and though not as prominent as of yore, has up to this time always been kept as a public house.

Jackson
Section 2


Page 22


 


image



Please consider making a donation to help offset expenses to keep this site online.
Thank you



image
image
image

Site Map | Chapter Index | MICHIGAN
Counties | Towns | The Blackhawk War | Southwestern michigan | Early Recollections | | Bagley | Eldorado | New Life | Navarre
Maxwell | Territorial Road| Pioneer Life | Battle Creek | Stebbins | William Burt | Pilcher | Chase | Lamb
image