image
image

image
image
 

Michigan

Jackson

WILLIAM AND JERRY FORD.
In April, 1835, the northeast quarter of section three, town three south, of range one west, which was located by Dr. Benjamin H. Packard, was sold to William Ford, Jerry Ford and William Ford, Jr., who also bought the mill, water power and twenty acres of land of Jeremiah Marvin-These gentlemen and their relatives and friends for many years after their settlement here were among the most active, energetic and enter- prising of the business men, not only of the village but of the state. The impetus they gave to the business of Jackson has had a very important bearing on its growth and prosperity.
In the winter of 1836 an act of the state legislature provided " that Daniel Coleman, George B. Cooper and Jerry Ford, their heirs and assigns, be and are hereby authorized and empowered to build a dam across Grand river, on section three, town three south, of range one west. Said dam shall not exceed seven feet in height above common low water mark, and shall contain a lock not less than 75 feet in length and 16 feet in width for the passage of boats, rafts and other water craft."

Jackson
Section 2


Page 20


 






Please help us keep this site online and to continue to bring sites like this one.
Thank you



image
image
image

Site Map | Chapter Index | MICHIGAN
Saginaw ValleyII | Lucius Lyon | Michigan 1-5 | Michigan 6 | Michigan 7 | Michigan 8 | Michigan 9 | Michigan 19 | Michigan 11 | Michigan 12 | Michigan 13 | Michigan 14 | Michigan 15 | Michigan 16 | Michigan 17 |Indian Doctor | Reminiscences | 1787 | Questions | Settlement | Yerks
image