image
image

image
image
 

Michigan

Jackson

In 1851 he became a partner of Geo. B. Cooper in the banking business, and as a member of the firm of Cooper & Thompson and Cooper, Thompson & Co., and as president of the Jackson City Bank, he has, up to the present time, been the leading banker in Jackson. Mr. Thompson is now understood to be the sole proprietor of the Jackson City Bank. He is also treasurer of the Jackson, Lansing and Saginaw Railroad, and has acted in that capacity since the organization of the company. In 1831 Amasa B. Gibson, Esq., settled in that part of the township of Jacksonburgh now in Spring Arbor. In 1834 Mr. Gibson removed with his family to the village of Jacksonburgh, and associated himself with Daniel Coleman and George B. Cooper in the mercantile business, which in that time meant a general stock of goods comprising groceries, dry-goods, hardware, crockery, all kinds of country produce, and every other conceivable article which an Indian or inhabitant of either village or county would be expected to call for. There was at this time but one other store in the village, that of the Messrs. Dwight, which was of the same general character.

Jackson
Section 2


Page 2


 


image



Please consider making a donation to help offset expenses to keep this site online.
Thank you



image
image
image

Site Map | Chapter Index | MICHIGAN
Counties | Towns | The Blackhawk War | Southwestern michigan | Early Recollections | | Bagley | Eldorado | New Life | Navarre
Maxwell | Territorial Road| Pioneer Life | Battle Creek | Stebbins | William Burt | Pilcher | Chase | Lamb
image