image
image

image
image
 

Michigan

Jackson Mi.

The Indian Pe-wi-tun was their guide, knowing the direction of the trails, and able to show them the country on either side, then return to the trail, and continue the exploration until the desired location should be found and determined upon. After deciding upon the land he should purchase, Mr. Blackman and his party returned to Ann Arbor. From thence he went to the United States land office at Monroe, and made entry of his quarter section, being the first government land bought within what are now the limits of the city. Mr. Blackman and his brother Russell, who had now joined him, taking with them some men to help them, went in the fall of this year from Ann Arbor and put up a log cabin on his land, preparatory to his occupation of it in the spring. This was the first house built in what is now the city of Jackson, and probably the first in the county built by a white man. This house was built on the lot on Trail street, where Mr. John T. Durand lived for many years, and known as the Durand place. This lot has ever since been in possession of the Blackman family, Mr. Durand having married Miss Silence D. Blackman in 1833. They were the first to celebrate that interesting ceremony in the village of Jackson-burgh, and were probably the first couple married in the county.

Jackson
Section 1


Page 5


 






Please help us keep this site online and to continue to bring sites like this one.
Thank you



image
image
image

Site Map | Chapter Index | MICHIGAN
Saginaw ValleyII | Lucius Lyon | Michigan 1-5 | Michigan 6 | Michigan 7 | Michigan 8 | Michigan 9 | Michigan 19 | Michigan 11 | Michigan 12 | Michigan 13 | Michigan 14 | Michigan 15 | Michigan 16 | Michigan 17 |Indian Doctor | Reminiscences | 1787 | Questions | Settlement | Yerks
image