image
image

image
image
 

Michigan

Jackson Mi.

VILLAGE PLATTED
Some time in the spring or summer of 1830 Horace Blackman, Russell Blackman, William R. Thompson, Isaiah W. Bennett and Benjamin H. Packard surveyed, laid out and platted " A plan of the village of Jacksonburgh, by Jonathan F. Stratton, surveyor," and caused the same to be left for record at Ann Arbor, in the office of the register of deeds for Washtenaw county, to which this county was attached for judicial and other purposes—Jackson county not having yet been organized. This original plat was lost, and no record made of it in that office. In 1842 a copy, verified by the oath of Dr. B. H. Packard, was filed for record in the office of the register of deeds for Jackson county. This document can be found on page 600 of liber 10 of deeds. This plat includes part of the northeast quarter of section three, town three south of range one west, and part of the southeast quarter of section thirty-four, town two south of range one west. That part of the city on this ground is built on lots as described by this plat, except that the public square at the junction of Main and Jackson streets has all been vacated except the northwest quarter, (in front of the Congregational church), and is now occupied by some of the most valuable blocks of buildings in the city.

Jackson
Section 1


Page 17


 


image



Please consider making a donation to help offset expenses to keep this site online.
Thank you



image
image
image

Site Map | Chapter Index | MICHIGAN
Counties | Towns | The Blackhawk War | Southwestern michigan | Early Recollections | | Bagley | Eldorado | New Life | Navarre
Maxwell | Territorial Road| Pioneer Life | Battle Creek | Stebbins | William Burt | Pilcher | Chase | Lamb
image