image
image

image
image
 

Michigan

Jackson Mi.

The next year, in 1831, Mr. Hogan built and occupied as a store, a frame building on the northeast corner of the public square, fronting on Jackson street. This was the first frame building erected in Jacksonburgh. Mrs. John Wellman, who was of the colony of 1830, was the main reliance of the neighborhood for the cutting and making of the clothes of men and boys, where that could not be done in their own families. Her work gave such satisfaction that there was no opposition for three years, and she successfully plied the needle in Jackson for over thirty-five years. The first carpenter to settle in Jacksonburgh was John Wickham, who came to work on the saw-mill of Bennett & Thompson, and then made it his home. A tannery was established here in 18*30 by Major D. Mills and Christian Prusia, on the site where Gavin's brewery was afterwards built, between Pearl and Clinton streets, near the old gas works and ashery. This enterprise was in advance of the wants of the settlement, and did not prove a success remuneratively. It was abandoned after a desperate struggle of two years or more, worthy of a better fate.

Jackson
Section 1


Page 16


 


image



Please consider making a donation to help offset expenses to keep this site online.
Thank you



image
image
image

Site Map | Chapter Index | MICHIGAN
Counties | Towns | The Blackhawk War | Southwestern michigan | Early Recollections | | Bagley | Eldorado | New Life | Navarre
Maxwell | Territorial Road| Pioneer Life | Battle Creek | Stebbins | William Burt | Pilcher | Chase | Lamb
image