image
image

image
image
 

Michigan

Jackson Mi.

At the same time came John Wickham, mill-wright; Hiram Thompson, brother of William R. Thompson; Jason Barlow, George Mayo, Stephen Town, and James Caniff, all of whom were in the employ of Messrs. Bennett and Thompson, wdrking on the saw-mill, mill-dam and boarding house. Mr. Horace Blackman returned to his new made home in May, 1830, bringing with him his father and mother, Mr. and Mrs. Lemuel Blackman, his brothers Russell, Levi, George and Francis, his three sisters, his brother-in-law, Elizur B. Chapman, and William R. DeLand, his wife and two children. All of this little colony lived in the house built the fall before by Horace Blackman, until they could build houses of their own, which was soon accomplished by these hardy pioneers. Mr. John Durand, his son John T. Durand, his daughter and nephew, arrived here on the first day of June, 1830. Both of the Durands bought government lands and settled within the present limits of the city. Mr. John Durand built a log house on the northeast corner of the northeast quarter of section four. The site on which this house stood is now in Main street, in front of the west end school-house.

Jackson
Section 1


Page 12


 


image



Please consider making a donation to help offset expenses to keep this site online.
Thank you



image
image
image

Site Map | Chapter Index | MICHIGAN
Counties | Towns | The Blackhawk War | Southwestern michigan | Early Recollections | | Bagley | Eldorado | New Life | Navarre
Maxwell | Territorial Road| Pioneer Life | Battle Creek | Stebbins | William Burt | Pilcher | Chase | Lamb
image