image
image

image
image
 

HISTORY OF HILLSDALE COLLEGE

BY HON. JOHN C. PATTERSON, 1883

A valuable herbarium and museum of natural history and a large collection of valuable geological specimens were gathered together. Extensive chemical and philosophical apparatus were procured. During the war, whole companies were raised among the students, college classes were thinned out by the enlistment of their members. Few institutions furnished more student soldiers than did Hillsdale College. At the close of the war, many students returned and completed their studies. The college continued in public confidence, was experiencing a healthy growth and enjoying general prosperity, but a fiery ordeal awaited it.
FIRE
On the 6th day of March, 1874. the central building and west hall were burned to the ground. The museum, the collection of natural history, and a large amount of furniture and other property were also destroyed. The loss was heavy and the blow severe. But no> time was wasted in lamentation. Before night, arrangements were made to open school the following day. Churches and private rooms were converted into recitation halls and the school went on. The trustees immediately determined to rebuild, funds were collected, plans procured, and on the 18th day of August, 1874, the corner stone of the new building was laid. Hon. John P. Cook was president of the day and Dr. Daniel Beebe marshal. Addresses were delivered by Prof. Ransom Dunn, D. D., ex-President Fairfield, D. D. LL. D., Hon. Henry Waldron, Rev. Wm. H. Perrine, D. D.. and Hon. W. J. Baxter. A different plan from the old building was adopted A group of five buildings was decided upon, consisting of Knowlton Hall. Griffin Hall, Center Building, Fine Art Hall, and East Hall. The first four of the halls named have been completed. East Hall is the remnant of the old building. Funds are being raised to complete the group by erecting Garfield Hall on the present site of East Hall. This name is given to the hall as a memorial to President Garfield, and, from the fact that he commenced his studies and wonderful intellectual career at Geauga Seminary, which is now a part of Hillsdale College, it is highly appropriate.

EARLY MICHIGAN


Page 14


 






Please consider making a donation to help keep these sites alive.
Thank you



image
image
image

Site Map | Chapter Index | MICHIGAN
Old Capitol | Female College | Early Press 2| My Michigan |County Bar | County BarII | County Bar III | Asylum | Bazil | Ohio Boundary | Western Michigan | John Barry | Wyandotte | Port Huron | Saginaw Valley
image