image
image

image
image
 

HISTORY OF HILLSDALE COLLEGE

BY HON. JOHN C. PATTERSON, 1883

During this time the devoted faculty was not idle. While the work of erecting the necessary college buildings at Hillsdale was going on, members I of the faculty were hard at work raising an endowment fund. The denominational territory was divided. President Fairfield canvassed New York and New England, Prof. Whipple canvassed Ohio, Michigan, and Indiana, and ; Prof. Dunn the territory west of the great lakes. Michigan Centra] College was the first college organized under the auspices of the Free-Will Baptists. The enterprise at first had the whole denominational field for support. Other institutions were planted by the denomination, which divided the territory and contributions for educational purposes. The canvassers for the college found half of their denomination cut off by these other schools, but a fund of about one hundred thousand dollars was pledged and a large part of it paid in. In a few months those friendly to removing the college were rewarded by seeing buildings erected grander than they had ever dreamed, and a working endowment fund secured. The college edifice was built of brick, four stories high above the basement, and was completed in the fall of 1855. The central building contained the chapel, which was surrounded by galleries on three sides, the treasurer's office, five recitation rooms, and two society halls, and was surmounted by a symmetrical dome, commanding an extensive view of the hills and dales of southern Michigan. The basement of East Hall was used for dining room and boarding hall; on the first floor were the parlor, steward's rooms, and the halls of the Ladies' Literary Societies. The remainder was used for ladies' dormitories. The West Hall was occupied by the museum, laboratory, recitation rooms, and gentlemen's dormitories. It has been the policy of this college to keep expenses as low as possible. The boarding hall, with accommodations for two hundred and fifty persons, under the control of the college, has been an important means of keeping board at low rates.

EARLY MICHIGAN


Page 11


 


image



Thank you for visiting. If you have found the information here interesting please consider making a donation.


image
image
image

Site Map | Chapter Index | MICHIGAN
French Settlements | Banks | Education | Gratiat County| Garden Beds | Mound Builders | Mexico War | Oliver Williams | Goerge Bates
Able Bingham | Biograph |Methodist | Oakland County | Macomb Co. | St Joseph Co. | Tecumseh | Lenawee County | Jackson 2 3 4
image