image
image

image
image
 

HISTORY OF HILLSDALE COLLEGE

BY HON. JOHN C. PATTERSON, 1883

These buildings, situated about fifteen rods north of the street, were of wood, two stories in height, plain in architecture, with gables towards the street, and stood on high foundation walls of stone. The plan was to connect them as wings to. a main building to be erected in the future. They were alike. and each was about thirty-five feet wide by sixty feet in length, and stood about one hundred feet apart. The first floors were used for recitation rooms, the second were divided in the center by halls, with dormitories on each side. The buildings were completed and ready for use in the fall of 1845. Another building, about the same size and style, was afterwards erected on the south side of the street for dormitories. During the summer and early fall the public school-house near the residence of Joseph C. Bailey was used by the college, which moved into the new buildings during the fall term of 1845. The school gained in public favor and patronage. The Free-will Baptist general conference in 1847 donated five hundred dollars to purchase apparatus for the institution. A library of several hundred volumes was collected from private contribution. Amos Lawrence, of Boston, and Edward Everett, then president of Harvard University, con' tributed more than half of the books. An act of the legislature was approved March 20th, 1850, amending the charter of the college by granting the power "to confer such degrees and grant such diplomas as are usually conferred and granted by other colleges, providing that the course of study pursued in said college shall be in all respects as comprehensive as that required, or shall be hereafter required, in the University of Michigan. " This amendment also granted authority to hold property to the amount of one hundred thousand dollars.

EARLY MICHIGAN


Page 16


 


image



Please consider making a donation to help offset expenses to keep this site online.
Thank you



image
image
image

Site Map | Chapter Index | MICHIGAN
Counties | Towns | The Blackhawk War | Southwestern michigan | Early Recollections | | Bagley | Eldorado | New Life | Navarre
Maxwell | Territorial Road| Pioneer Life | Battle Creek | Stebbins | William Burt | Pilcher | Chase | Lamb
image