image
image

image
image
 

HISTORY OF HILLSDALE COLLEGE

BY HON. JOHN C. PATTERSON, 1883

The Jackson convention authorized Mr. Coltrin, as financial agent, to solicit subscriptions and collect means to establish the school. The convention determined to locate the school at the place where the most liberal inducements should be offered, having due regard for the healthfulness of the locality. Leoni, Jackson, and Spring Arbor, in Jackson county, and Cook's Prairie in Calhoun county made efforts to secure the institution. At an early day an effort had been made to establish an institution of learning at Spring Arbor. The territorial legislature passed an act in March, 1835, to incorporate the trustees of Spring Arbor Seminary. In October, 1835', the corporation elected a corps of officers. Two hundred and ten acres of land were conveyed to the seminary for a site, subscriptions were obtained, and a quantity of brick for the buildings was contracted for, but the work was delayed on account of the financial crisis of 1837. During this delay, the location was deemed undesirable, and an offer was made to move the school to the town offering the most favorable inducements. Albion made an acceptable offer, and in 1839, the legislature amended the charter by changing the name and location. Spring Arbor Seminary thus became The Wesleyan Seminary of Albion, and was the beginning of Albion College. The benefits of an educational institution in a community had been thoroughly canvassed in Spring Arbor before a Free-will Baptist institution had been conceived, and the community was prepared for action. Under the lead of Videto, Bailey, and Davis, in the denomination, supported by Deacon Smith, Dr. Cornell. Col. Benedict, and others outside of the denomination but interested in the locality, Spring Arbor raised the largest subscription and secured the location of the school.

EARLY MICHIGAN


Page 12


 


image



Please consider making a donation to help offset expenses to keep this site online.
Thank you



image
image
image

Site Map | Chapter Index | MICHIGAN
Counties | Towns | The Blackhawk War | Southwestern michigan | Early Recollections | | Bagley | Eldorado | New Life | Navarre
Maxwell | Territorial Road| Pioneer Life | Battle Creek | Stebbins | William Burt | Pilcher | Chase | Lamb
image