A HISTORY OF THE PRESS OF MICHIGAN PREPARED FOR THE CENTENNIAL BY ORDER OF GOV. JOHN J. BAGLEY
TOM S. APPLEGATE, COMPILER
The Huron Post is a weekly republican paper, issued by James M. Searritt, but the compiler is without data as to its history, previous to Mr. Scarritt's' becoming its proprietor.
The Advance is a weekly neutral paper, issued at Blissfield, which was established April 9, 1874, by Hamblin & Samson.. Mr. Hamblin is the present proprietor.
The State Line Observer is a weekly neutral paper, issued at Morenci, by E. D. Allen, but the compiler is without data as to its history.
The Ray is a juvenile paper, published fortDightly, at Deerfield, by George W. Grames, who established it June 1, 1875.
Pour weekly papers provide the 20, 320 people of Livingston county with reading matter. Two of these, The Republican and The Democrat, are printed at Howell. Their politics are indicated by their names. The Review is printed at Fowlerville; it is neutral in politics; and The Citizen at Brighton; politically it is independent.
January 10, 1843, The Livingston Courier was established at Brighton, by W. Sullivan as publisher, and F. C. Whipple as editor. After running in Brighton something over a year, The Courier was removed to Howell, the
county seat. It passed through various hands until 1856, when it came into the possession of George P. Root, tinder whose ownership the paper died. It gave up the ghost in April, 1857.
August 5, of the same year. Joseph T. Titus, having purchased The Courier type and material, started The Livingston Democrat, and still continues its publication, under the firm name of Joseph T. Titus & Co.
THE PRESS OF MICHIGAN
Please consider making a donation to help keep these sites alive.