image
image

image
image
 

A HISTORY OF THE PRESS OF MICHIGAN

PREPARED FOR THE CENTENNIAL BY ORDER OF GOV. JOHN J. BAGLEY TOM S. APPLEGATE, COMPILER
Section II

In 1836, J. M. Patterson came to Adrian with a printing office, which he brought from Syracuse, New York, and established a whig paper, called The Constitutionalist. Patterson published the paper some two years, when he disposed of it to Henry J. Tyler, who changed the name to The Michigan Whig. Tyler died in 1842, and his paper followed his example the same year. In September. 1843, S. P. and T. D. Jermain moved The Michigan Expositor, a whig paper, from Jonesville to Adrian, to occupy the ground left vacant by the demise of the Michigan Whig. In the spring of 1848, they put in their office the second power press ever brought to Michigan. They estabished a tri-weekly edition of the Expositor, in 1851, which was changed to a daily in 1856, and also published The Pledge of Honor, the organ of the Sons of Temperance. This was subsequently changed to The Dollar Weekly, and under that name reached a large circulation in the State. In 1857, Mr. T. D. Jermain retired from the firm, and purchased the Milwaukee Sentinel, and associated himself, with H. Brightman. The firm, under the name of Jermain and Brightman, published the Sentinel until 1869, when Mr. Jermain disposed of his interest in The Sentinel, and after a tour of Europe, returned to Adrian, where he now resides. In 1866, Mr. S. P. Jermain sold The Expositor to Dr. Kost, of Adrian. He transferred it to Lowrie & Ragan, and they consolidated with The Times, as above stated. The Adrian Journal was established January 1, 1866, as a democratic weekly, by Holmes. Cook & Bonner. For a short time a daily edition was issued from the office, but that was soon suspended. The office was sold to Japheth Cross, who continues to issue the paper. The Adrian Press was established as a daily and weekly. May 17, 1873, by W. A. Whitney, who still continues the publication. The paper is democratic in politics.

THE PRESS OF MICHIGAN


Page 7


 


image



Please consider making a donation to help offset expenses to keep this site online.
Thank you



image
image
image

Site Map | Chapter Index | MICHIGAN
Counties | Towns | The Blackhawk War | Southwestern michigan | Early Recollections | | Bagley | Eldorado | New Life | Navarre
Maxwell | Territorial Road| Pioneer Life | Battle Creek | Stebbins | William Burt | Pilcher | Chase | Lamb
image