A HISTORY OF THE PRESS OF MICHIGAN PREPARED FOR THE CENTENNIAL BY ORDER OF GOV. JOHN J. BAGLEY
TOM S. APPLEGATE, COMPILER
The Journal was established at Lowell, in July, 1865. by Webster Morris. James W. Hine is the present proprietor. It is a weekly, and republican in politics.
The Cedar Springs Clipper is an independent weekly paper, printed at . Cedar Springs, and established by its present owner, L. M. Sellers, December 29, 1869.
The Register, a weekly paper, independent in politics, published at Rockford, was established by its present proprietor, O. H. Cowdin, February 8, 1871.
This county, with a population of 1, 813, has a paper, The Star, republican in politics, and of weekly issue, printed at Baldwin City. It was established May 1, 1873, by John F. Radcliffe. Charles K. Radcliffe, the present proprietor, was editor of the paper at the start, and has been proprietor throughout, with the exception of a few weeks.
This county has a population of 25. 140, and five weekly papers: The Clarion, republican, and The Democrat, democratic, printed at Lapeer, The Herald, republican, at Almont, The Advance, independent, at Imlay City, and The Observer, independent, at North Branch.
The first paper printed in Lapeer county was called The Plain-dealer. It was established by an association, in 1839, and Col. E. H. Thompson was the editor. It was democratic in politics. The office was destroyed by fire in 1845, and the paper ceased publication.
In 1856 The Lapeer Republican association established The Clarion. S. J. Tomlinson is the present proprietor.
The Lapeer Democrat was established in July, 1874, by J. B. Graham. H. S. Harcourt is the present proprietor.
THE PRESS OF MICHIGAN
Please consider making a donation to help keep these sites alive.