A HISTORY OF THE PRESS OF MICHIGAN PREPARED FOR THE CENTENNIAL BY ORDER OF GOV. JOHN J. BAGLEY
TOM S. APPLEGATE, COMPILER
ST. CLAIR COUNTY
This county has a population of 40,688, and four papers. The Times, Port Huron, republican, issues a daily and a weekly edition, The Commercial, Port Huron, democratic, is a semi-weekly, The Republican, St. Clair, republican, is a weekly, as is The Gazette, Marine City, which is also republican in politics.
November 25, 1834, the first paper published in the county made its appearance. It was published in what was then the village of Palmer, now the city of St. Clair, by T. M. Perry. In politics it was whig, and it lived two years, suspending in 1836.
The Port Huron Commercial was started by George F. Lewis in 1850. It is now published on Sundays and Wednesdays, and James Talbot and Sons a»re the proprietors.
The St. Clair Republican was born May 24, 1856, Benjamin B. Bissell being the projector. H. P. Wands is the present proprietor.
June 25, 1869, the first number of The Port Huron Times saw the light. It was under the management of James H. Stone. It is now published daily and weekly by The Port Huron Times company, J. H. Stone editor, and L. A. Sherman business manager.
The Marine City Gazette was established by its present proprietor, P. D. Bissell, June 4, 1874.
ST. JOSEPH COUNTY
This county has a population of 25, 906, and six papers, all weekly.
The first paper published in the county was known as The Michigan Statesman. It appeared in White Pigeon, in 1833, was democratic in politics, and H. Gilbert was the proprietor. About 1836 it was removed to Kalamazoo.
The St. Joseph County Advertiser and Constantine Weekly Mercury was established at Constantine, by Albert E. Massey and Horace Metcalf, in February, 1845. In 1850 the office passed into the possession of the present proprietor, Levi T. Hull. It is republican in politics.
THE PRESS OF MICHIGAN
Please consider making a donation to help offset expenses to keep this site online.