A HISTORY OF THE PRESS OF MICHIGAN PREPARED FOR THE CENTENNIAL BY ORDER OF GOV. JOHN J. BAGLEY
TOM S. APPLEGATE, COMPILER
Saginaw county has a population of 48,409, and five papers. The Courier, East Saginaw (democratic) issues both a daily and a weekly edition. The others are weeklies, except The News, which is semi-weekly. The Republican (republican) and The Zeitung, German (independent), are also printed at East Saginaw. The Saginawian (democratic) and the Saginaw Valley News (republican) are printed at Saginaw.
The first paper printed in the county was the Saginaw Journal, printed by J. B. Bennett, at Saginaw, in March, 1837. It was democratic in politics, and lived but two years.
The Saginaw Enterprise was established at East Saginaw, as a republican weekly, August, 1853, by F. A. Williamson and A. J. Mason. Subsequently it printed a daily edition, in connection with its weekly. It suspended publication in April, 1874.
The Saginaw Courier was established in July, 1859, by George F. Lewis. It is now printed by The Courier Company.
September 1, 1868, The Enterprise Company began the publication of The Saginaw Zeitung. It is now printed by The Saginaw Zeitung Company.
May 1, 1869, The Saginawian was born. It was established by its present proprietor, George F. Lewis.
August 1, 1859, was the date of the establishment of The Saginaw Republican. Milo Blair was the projector. F. A. Palmer & Co. are the present proprietors.
The Semi-weekly Valley News was established at Saginaw, July 7, 1874. by its present proprietor, Charles H. Lee.
The North Star was started at Saginaw, in 1844, by R. W. Jenny, and The Spirit of the Times in 1849, by L. L. G. Jones. Both were democratic, and each lived about five years.
THE PRESS OF MICHIGAN
Please help us keep this site online and to continue to bring sites like this one.