image
image

image
image
 

A HISTORY OF THE PRESS OF MICHIGAN

PREPARED FOR THE CENTENNIAL BY ORDER OF GOV. JOHN J. BAGLEY TOM S. APPLEGATE, COMPILER
Section II

The Whitehall Forum was established October 28, 1869, by Ben. Frank. C. P. Nearpass is the present proprietor.
The Montague Lumberman was established November 27, 1873, by H. C. Sholes & Co. It is now printed by the Lumberman company.
NEWAYGO COUNTY
This county has 8,758 population, and three weekly papers. The Republican is the oldest paper in the county. It was established at Newaygo by James H. Maze, in 1856. It is republican in politics. E. O. Shaw is the present proprietor. The Times, republican, printed at Fremont, was established March, 1874, by Platt & Matthews. W. P. Platt is the present proprietor. The Tribune, printed at Newaygo, was established by its present proprietor, J. Palmiter, March 27, 1875. It is republican in politics.
OAKLAND COUNTY
This county has 38, 082 population, and eight newspapers, as follows: The Gazette, republican, and The Bill Poster, democratic, both published at Pontiac; The Register and The Times, Holly; The Times, Milford; The Era, Rochester; The Good News (semi-monthly), Orion; The Journal, Oxford. The Good News is neutral, the others named are independent. To Mr. W. P. Nisbett, formerly of The Pontiac Bill Poster, the compiler is indebted for much of the material herewith presented, in regard to the press of Oakland county. The first paper printed in Oakland county was established in 1829. by Thomas Simpson. It was called The Oakland Chronicle. It gave up the ghost in about two years. The Democratic Balance appeared from 1836 to 1838, when it was merged into The Pontiac Herald, which died a few years later. About 1835, The Pontiac Courier was started by A. G. Sparhawk, and after having changed hands several times, the name was changed to The Jeffersonian, which after a short time was merged into The Gazette, which had been started by William Thompson, in 1842. At present, the Gazette is printed by The Pontiac Gazette company, C. F. Kimball and C. B. Turner, proprietors.

THE PRESS OF MICHIGAN


Page 16


 


image



Please consider making a donation to help offset expenses to keep this site online.
Thank you



image
image
image

Site Map | Chapter Index | MICHIGAN
Counties | Towns | The Blackhawk War | Southwestern michigan | Early Recollections | | Bagley | Eldorado | New Life | Navarre
Maxwell | Territorial Road| Pioneer Life | Battle Creek | Stebbins | William Burt | Pilcher | Chase | Lamb
image