A HISTORY OF THE PRESS OF MICHIGAN PREPARED FOR THE CENTENNIAL BY ORDER OF GOV. JOHN J. BAGLEY
TOM S. APPLEGATE, COMPILER
The Howard City Record was established August 15, 1872, by the present proprietor, Wayne E. Morris.
The Carson City Commercial was established December 10, 1874, by the present proprietor, S. Armes.
The Montcalm County Journal was established September 24, 1875, by its present proprietor. Joseph K. Fairchild.
The Lakeview Citizen was started January 21, 1867. by its present proprietor, G. J. Massey.
The Coral Enterprise and The Sheridan Era were born and died in 1875.
Muskegon county has a population of 19, 375, and four weekly and one semi-weekly newspapers. The latter is The News and Reporter, independent democratic in politics, published at Muskegon. The weekly papers are: The Chronicle, republican, and The Lakeside Register, democratic, published at Muskegon; The Forum, republican, is printed at Whitehall, and The Lumberman, independent, at Montague.
Concerning the early history of journalism in Muskegon county, the compiler has been unable to obtain any accurate information. It seems tolerably certain that The Muskegon Chronicle is the oldest of the papers at present in existence there. It was established in 1857, by Fred Lee. O. B. Curtis is the present proprietor.
The News and Reporter is the consolidation of The Reporter, established in the spring of 1860. and the News, started in 1864. In 1865, the present proprietor, F. Weller, purchased and consolidated both offices. The semi-weekly issue was begun in 1874.
The Lakeside Register, of which Charles S. Hilbourn is the present editor and publisher, is the successor or descendant of The Muskegon Telegraph, The Muskegon Enterprise, The Gazette and Bulletin, and The Michigan Lumberman. The Register was first issued in November, 1873.
THE PRESS OF MICHIGAN
Please help us keep this site online and to continue to bring sites like this one.