A HISTORY OF THE PRESS OF MICHIGAN PREPARED FOR THE CENTENNIAL BY ORDER OF GOV. JOHN J. BAGLEY
TOM S. APPLEGATE, COMPILER
The Monroe Gazette was started in 1836 by Mr. Hosmer, of Toledo, and was afterward edited by Charles Lanman, continued several years, and suspended. In 1850 The Commercial was printed as a daily, a few months, by Morton & Spears, but it did not pay, and the daily was discontinued. In 1848 a paper was started called The Monroe Sentinel, by W. H. Briggs &Co., which was short-lived. In 1856, after the purchase of The Commercial by the republicans, a democratic paper, called The National Press, was started by A. , C. Salsbury, edited by E. G. Morton. In 1861, Titus Babcock purchased the office, published the paper about a year, independent of politics, and then removed the office to Hudson.
In May, 1862, E. G. Morton started The Monroe Monitor. At the time of his death, which occurred December 15th, 1875, Messrs. Lee &Kurz were associated with him in the ownership of the paper. These gentlemen are the present proprietors.
The Dundee Enterprise was established October 10, 1871, by John Cheever. , Wm. W. Cook is the present proprietor.
This county has 20, 815 population and seven weekly papers. The Independent, republican, and The Democrat, democratic, are printed at Greenville.
Stanton has. The Herald and The Journal, republican, Howard City has The Record, independent, and Carson City The Commercial, also independent.
The first paper established in the county was The Greenville Independent. Milo Blair was the first, and E. F. Grabill is the present owner.
The Montcalm Herald was established at Stanton, September 11, 1867, by E. 0. Shaw. E. R. Powell & Son are the present proprietors.
The Greenville Democrat was established in 1870, by D. B. Sherwood. J. Wesley Griffith is the present proprietor.
THE PRESS OF MICHIGAN
Please consider making a donation to help keep these sites alive.