A HISTORY OF THE PRESS OF MICHIGAN PREPARED FOR THE CENTENNIAL BY ORDER OF GOV. JOHN J. BAGLEY
TOM S. APPLEGATE, COMPILER
The Republican was established in May, 1855, by H. and L. M. Smith. J. D. Smith & Co., are the present proprietors.
The Brighton Citizen was established in 1871, by A. G. Blood. G. W. Axtell is the present proprietor.
The Fowlerville Review was established June 19, 1874. by W. H. Hess. Hess & Adams are the present proprietors.
This county has a population of 28, 305, and has four papers, all weekly. The Monitor (republican), the Press (democratic), and The Reporter (neutral), are all printed at Mt. Clemens. The Observer (republican), is printed
In 1836, J. K. Bourne established at Mt. Clemens. The Macomb Republican. It was democratic in politics, and died in 1838. Between that time and 1864, in which year both The Monitor and The Press were started, the compiler is without any journalistic history of Macomb county.
In 1864, E. Weeks and W. L. Lee established the Monitor. The present proprietors are W. L. Lee and W. C. Stockton.
In 1864, Messrs. Longstaff and Eldredge established The Press. Spencer B. Russell is the present proprietor.
The Romeo Observer was established in May, 1866, by Rev. John Russell. George A. Waterbury is the present proprietor.
The Mt. Clemens Reporter was established in July, 1873. by Lewis M. Miller. Keeler, Miller & Co. are the present proprietors.
This county has a population of 21. 946. Its principal industry ia mining, and consequently its three papers are devoted to mining interests to the exclusion of political bias. The three papers are The Mining Journal, published at Marquette, The Iron Herald, at Negaunee, and The Iron Home, published at Ishpeming.
THE PRESS OF MICHIGAN
Please help us keep this site online and to continue to bring sites like this one.