A HISTORY OF THE PRESS OF MICHIGAN PREPARED FOR THE CENTENNIAL BY ORDER OF GOV. JOHN J. BAGLEY
TOM S. APPLEGATE, COMPILER
The Gazette was neutral in politics, but some of the zealous whigs thought it leaned too much to the democracy, and The Michigan Expositor was established, with a Mr. Brewster as manager, Hon. Robert Allen editor, and the Jermain brothers printers. The county seat was soon after moved to Hillsdale, and with it went the Gazette. It suspended publication in Hillsdale, in 1856. In a short time (1842), the Jermain brothers saw a better opening in Adrian, and removed The Expositor office to that place, leaving Jonesville without a paper. When the line of the Michigan Southern road reached Jonesville, however, W. W. Murphy and others purchased printing material, and in May, 1850, The Jonesville Telegraph was established. After a year or two the name was changed to The Independent, which it has since borne. Messrs. Dennis & Eggleston are the present proprietors.
The removal from Jonesville to Hillsdale of The Gazette, and its suspension there has been previously recorded. Next in, order of date comes The Hillsdale Standard, which, June 30, 1846, was established by H. B. Rowlson and S. D. Clark. H. B. Rowlson is the present proprietor.
The Hillsdale Democrat was established in 1852, by N. B. Welper. W. H. Tallman is the present publisher.
The Weekly Business was started in Hillsdale in 1870, by its present proprietor, H. T. Farnam.
The Reading Press was established by George Gray, in 1871. B. J. Kingston is the present proprietor.
No data concerning The Litchfield Gazette have been received.
This county has a population of 19,030, and two papers.
The Portage Lake Mining Gazette was established at Houghton, June 16, 1859, by its present proprietor, J. R. Devereaux. It has no politics.
The Northwestern Mining Journal was established at Hancock, May 1, 1873, by Kibber & Wilson. Edward P. Kibber is the present proprietor.
Please consider making a donation to help keep these sites alive.