A HISTORY OF THE PRESS OF MICHIGAN PREPARED FOR THE CENTENNIAL BY ORDER OF GOV. JOHN J. BAGLEY
TOM S. APPLEGATE, COMPILER
GRAND TRAVERSE COUNTY
Grand Traverse county has a population of 5, 340, and two papers, both published at Traverse City, The Grand Traverse Herald, republican, and the Traverse Bay Eagle, independent. The first named paper was established November 3, 1858, by Morgan Bates, late Lieutenant Governor of Michigan. It was when established, it is believed, the first paper north of Grand Rapids. In 1867 Morgan Bates sold the establishment to D. C. Leach, the present proprietor.
The Traverse Bay Eagle was established by Elvin L. Sprague, in April, 1864. The founder and James Spencer are the present proprietors.
Gratiot county has a population of 13. 886, and two weekly papers. The Journal, republican in politics, printed at Ithaca, the county seat, and the Herald, democratic in politics, printed at St. Louis.
In May, 1857, Robert Sutton estabfished at Ithaca, the Gratiot News, which was the first paper published in the county. It was neutral in politics, and ceased to exist September, 1865. It was at once succeeded by the Journal, established by Church & Taylor. Robert Smith is the present proprietor.
The St. Louis Herald was established March 17, 1871, by Wm. W. Cook. Jared B. Graham is the present proprietor.
This county has a population of 31, 566, and six papers, all weeklies. They are the Standard, Hillsdale, republican; the Democrat, Hillsdale, democratic; the Business, Hillsdale, republican; the Independent, Jonesville, republican; the Press, Reading, independent, and the Gazette, Litchfield, neutral.
Please consider making a donation to help offset expenses to keep this site online.