A HISTORY OF THE PRESS OF MICHIGAN PREPARED FOR THE CENTENNIAL BY ORDER OF GOV. JOHN J. BAGLEY
TOM S. APPLEGATE, COMPILER
he Republican was established at Charlotte by E. A. Foote, in 1853, but Joseph Saunders became the owner after two or three years, and published the same until the commencement of the present year, when it was purchased by K. Kittredge. it is republican in politics.
The Eaton County Argus was originally established at Eaton Rapids, but about 1853 or 1854, it was removed to Charlotte by Dr. E. D. Burr, the proprietor. It changed hands several times until seven years ago it was purchased by J. Y. Johnson, who changed the name to The Charlotte Leader. The present proprietor, Frank A. Ells, took possession January 1, 1875. The Leader is democratic in politics.
The Saturday Journal is an independent paper printed at Eaton Rapids. It was established by J. B. Ten Eyck in December, 1865. Frank C. Culley is the present proprietor.
The Independent is a weekly paper printed at Grand Ledge. It was established in 1869 by B. F. Saunders. Its present proprietor is W. C. Westland. It is independent in politics.
Bellevue has The Gazette, a neutral paper. It was established June 9, 1871, by A. Rindge. Edwin S. Hoskins is the present proprietor.
The Enterprise, an independent paper, is printed at Vermontville. It was established by J. C. Worcester, in »October, 1874. G. W. Hoskins is the present proprietor. The place has less than 1,000 inhabitants.
Population, 1, 272. It has one paper. The Emmet County Democrat, which was established at Petoskey, April 30, 1875, by Royelle Rose, the present proprietor.
Genesee county has 34,568 population, and five weekly newspapers. Two are republican, one democratic, and two independent.
Please help us keep this site online and to continue to bring sites like this one.