A HISTORY OF THE PRESS OF MICHIGAN PREPARED FOR THE CENTENNIAL BY ORDER OF GOV. JOHN J. BAGLEY
TOM S. APPLEGATE, COMPILER
The Cassopolis Vigilant, a republican paper, published at Cassopolis, was established May 1, 1872, by D. B. Harrington and M. H. Barber. The present proprietor is W. H. Mansfield.
The Messenger, a neutral paper, printed at Marcellus, was established by its present proprietor, S. D. Perry, January 1, 1875.
The Argus, an independent paper, published at Edwardsburg, was established by its present proprietor. Will A. Shaw, October 23, 1875.
This county has a population of 2, 360, and has one paper, The Sentinel, republican in politics, printed at Charlevoix, by W. A. Smith, who established it March 10, 1869. It was the first paper printed in the county.
This county, with a population of 3,070, has two weekly papers. The Northern Tribune and The Cheboygan Free Press. The Tribune is owned and printed by William Chandler, who established it July 17, 1875. It is republican in politics.
The Free Press is democratic in politics, and was established by its present proprietors, Bentley & Brown, January 6, 1876.
The first paper printed in the county was called The Manitoba Chronicle. It was established January 28, 1871, by W. P. Maiden, was independent in politics, and deceased June 3, 1871. It was succeeded by The Times, that by The Independent, and that by The Free Press, under its present management.
This county has a population of 23, 661; has four papers, all weekly. Two are independent in politics, one is republican, and one democratic.
The first paper in the county was established in 1850, by Mark A. Childs, at DeWitt. It was called The Express, and was sold by its founder to Milo Blair, and by him to John Ransom, who moved the office to* St. Johns in 1857, and the name was changed to The Northside Democrat, then to The St. Johns Democrat, and then suspended in 1858.
If you find this information helpful please consider making a donation