A HISTORY OF THE PRESS OF MICHIGAN PREPARED FOR THE CENTENNIAL BY ORDER OF GOV. JOHN J. BAGLEY
TOM S. APPLEGATE, COMPILER
In 1870 a new paper called The Michigan Tribune, was issued by Messrs. Pease & Reed, and in 1871 it passed into the hands of Messrs. Woolnough & Bordine, who still continue its publication. In politics The Tribune is independent.
The Albion Mirror, located at Albion, is a democratic weekly paper. It was established October 11, 1855, by Lawrence W. Cole, who is the present owner.
Albion has also a weekly republican paper, known as The Recorder, but no data in relation to it have been received.
Tekonsha has an independent weekly paper, The Reporter, but nothing in relation to it has been received.
Homer has a neutral weekly paper, The Index, but no facts of its birth or career have reached the compiler.
This county, with a population of 20, 525, has five weekly papers, two republican, one democratic, one independent, and one neutral.
The first paper established in the county was The Cass County Advocate, which, in March, 1846, was established by E. A. Graves at Cassopolis. It ceased publication in 1849.
The National Democrat was established at Cassopolis, in 1850, by a stock company of democrats. C. C. Allison is the present proprietor. It is democratic in politics.
The first paper established in Dowagiac was in 1851, the office having been removed from Cassopolis. Its politics are unknown. Its name was subsequently changed to The Dowagiac Times, and subsequently to the Cass County Republican. The office was destroyed by fire in 1854. J. L. Gant established The Cass County Tribune the same year. The name was subsequently changed to The Cass County Republican, and the office sold to Wm. Campbell, from whom it was purchased in May, 1868, by H. C. Buffington, who published it until September, 1875, when it was purchased by its present proprietors, Messrs. Holmes & Greenleaf.
Please consider making a donation to help offset expenses to keep this site online.