A HISTORY OF THE PRESS OF MICHIGAN PREPARED FOR THE CENTENNIAL BY ORDER OF GOV. JOHN J. BAGLEY
TOM S. APPLEGATE, COMPILER
The first paper published in the. county was established in 1842, by Alexander L. Ely, and was democratic in politics. It was called the Allegan and Barry Record, and it ceased to live in 1862.
The Allegan Journal was established April 30, 1856, by D. C. Henderson. It is republican in politics, and its present proprietors are its founder and E.
The Allegan Democrat is owned by the Northwestern Bible and Publishing company, but no data in relation to its establishment have been furnished.
The Lake Shore Commercial, published at Saugatuck, was started July 1, 1867, by Frank Pattie, and is at present published by C. M. Winslow.
The Plainwell Republic was established February 10, 1871, by Jerome Win-chell, who is the present proprietor.
The Union, published at Otsego, was established August 2, 1875, by C. H. Harris and V. V. Campbell, and its present proprietors are C. H. Harris and G. A. Morgan.
This county, with a population of 3, 240, has one paper, a weekly, The Traverse Bay Progress, republican in politics, published at Elk Rapids. It was established in May, 1872, by E. L. Sprague, as a monthly publication. Previous to this The Traverse Bay Eagle was printed in this county, but is now published at Traverse City, Grand Traverse county. The Progress is now published by H. E. Gamberling, who purchased it of its founder, in October, 1874.
Please help us keep this site online and to continue to bring sites like this one.