image
image

image
image
 

Michigan

By Rev. S. N. Griffith

The school-house is a specimen of, and a reminder of the secular and religious antiquities of the long past. It was removed to No. 100 North street, that being the corner of North and Church streets, and is now fitted up for a dwelling house. Any one wishing to see the house whose walls were shaken by the thunder of pioneer Methodist eloquence can call and spend a few moments in reflection on and in contemplation of the future. Service began to be held in this then new school-house in the fall of 1834, by holding a quarterly meeting and sacramental service, conducted by Rev. J. T. Robe, preacher in charge. This was the first sacramental service ever held in Bronson, (now Kalamazoo), at which Rev. R. Har-grave preached with power and in the demonstration of the spirit; he was an able divine. About this time Bronson was visited with a refreshing revival of religion, which strengthened the little society which had been so recently organized. There were additions to their numbers both by letter and probation.

EARLY HISTORY OF METHODISM


Page 12


 


image



Please consider making a donation to help offset expenses to keep this site online.
Thank you



image
image
image

Site Map | Chapter Index | MICHIGAN
Counties | Towns | The Blackhawk War | Southwestern michigan | Early Recollections | | Bagley | Eldorado | New Life | Navarre
Maxwell | Territorial Road| Pioneer Life | Battle Creek | Stebbins | William Burt | Pilcher | Chase | Lamb
image