image
image

image
image
 

Detroit 1820

BY EPHRAIM S. WILLIAMS

From this shore it is worth while to cast a glance across to the spire of the Sandwich church, marking the site of the Huron mission removed thither by Father Potier in 1747, upon the enforced abandonment of the mission on Bois Blanc island. At Fort and Fourteenth streets, on the northwest corner, may be observed with some interest the venerable Piquette house, occupied in 1874 as the Little Sisters' Home for aged poor. Three squares beyond, at the railway crossings, some traces are left of the banks of Campau's Mill river, later Cabacier's and finally May's creek, which entered the Detroit not far from the Central depot. The mill—a maulin banal, or public mill, in the earliest times, for grinding grain—stood at this crossing. Precisely at Cass street we strike the west line of the military cantonment attached to Fort Shelby in 1815, and at Wayne the boundary of the fort itself. This was built in 1778 by the British troops under their commandant here from whom it was originally named Fort Lernoult. 'and extended from Wayne to a line about half way between Shelby and Griswold, and from Lafayette nearly to Congress street, the glacis running well down to the bank of the Savoyard river. During the war of 1812-15 its name was changed to Fort Shelby, in honor of the gallant governor of Kentucky, who personally led his troops at the battle of the Thames. Fort and Shelby streets, of course, derive their names from it. The stump of the flagstaff, a well kept fragment of Norway pine, now in the public library, was dug up a few years ago, during excavations for the cellar at the residence of the Hon. John Owen, No. 61 Fort street west. The military cemetery was a little to the northwest, between Lafayette and Michigan avenues.

Detroit Michigan


Page 20


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
 






Please help us keep this site online and to continue to bring sites like this one.
Thank you



image
image
image

Site Map | Chapter Index | MICHIGAN
Saginaw ValleyII | Lucius Lyon | Michigan 1-5 | Michigan 6 | Michigan 7 | Michigan 8 | Michigan 9 | Michigan 19 | Michigan 11 | Michigan 12 | Michigan 13 | Michigan 14 | Michigan 15 | Michigan 16 | Michigan 17 |Indian Doctor | Reminiscences | 1787 | Questions | Settlement | Yerks
image