image
image

image
image
 

Detroit 1820

BY EPHRAIM S. WILLIAMS

A Catholic cemetery of an acre's size was located here in 1797, and in it the remains of Colonel Hanttramck first reposed. Along here, between Bates and Randolph. Larned and Michigan Grand (now Cadillac Square), the ground was perhaps fifty feet above the general level, forming the original 'Piety Hill, " a name since appropriated for a locality far up town, near Cass park. A little north of Ste. Anne's, on the west side of Bates, near Congress, was the first building, a very plain affair of twenty four by fifty feet, occupied by the University of Michigan in 1817, and for a few years thereafter. Passing on to the southwest corner of Randolph we are upon the site of the original Ste. Marie's hospital, opened by the Sisters of Charity, June 9, 1845, in a much older log cabin; and, looking down to the northwest corner of Jefferson and Randolph, we may see in our mind's eye the little one story brick building which held the Detroit bank as long ago as 1800. Facing now westward on Larned, our pedestrian may go on to Wayne, where, at the northeast corner, flourished the Washington market from 1835 to 1852. At Nos. 164 and 100, between First and Second streets, stood, until Ste. Anne's was demolished in the early summer of 1886. August, 1882, the strongly built frame dwelling which tradition affirmed to have been erected on the banks of the Detroit, then but a little way to the southward, by Cadillac, for the chief of the Hurons, one hundred and seventy nine years before. The whole ancient part of it, with its massive oak and pine beams and sills, was in admirable condition when torn down to make way for the present brick buildings.

Detroit Michigan


Page 17


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
 


image



Please consider making a donation to help offset expenses to keep this site online.
Thank you



image
image
image

Site Map | Chapter Index | MICHIGAN
Counties | Towns | The Blackhawk War | Southwestern michigan | Early Recollections | | Bagley | Eldorado | New Life | Navarre
Maxwell | Territorial Road| Pioneer Life | Battle Creek | Stebbins | William Burt | Pilcher | Chase | Lamb
image