image
image

image
image
 

Michigan Towns

Select Towns

October 5th, 1832, Darius Perrin and Elisha S. Lee entered 48.52 acres of land in this town. Waldo, Church, Clapp and Wilds became large purchasers of land in 1833, and became permanent settlers. In addition to the list of pioneers the following names must not be omitted, viz: Reuben Abbott, Chandler M. Church, Howell Bidwell, M. J. Lathrop, Orris Clapp, Almon Herrick, O. M. Cobb, W. S. Loomis, David H. Miller and Campbell Waldo. Chandler M. Church went to California many years ago and died there. His son now resides upon the old homestead in Sheridan. Reuben Abbott, when last heard from by the writer, was living at or near Racine, Wisconsin. C. M. Cobb is now a resident of the town. He has been frequently its supervisor, and has been an influential member of the board of supervisors, and has looked well after the interests of his town. Dr. Campbell Waldo was an early settler of this town, was an active business man for years, and a successful practitioner of medicine and surgery. He had an eminent professional standing in the state of New York, from whence he emigrated, and at once took rank with the leading medical men in this county. So long as his age and health permitted he responded to every call. He was esteemed by the faculty as a discerning and well read doctor. Books and papers were his constant companions until he lost his eyesight, which occurred some years before his death. He raised a large family, to whom he gave good educational and business advantages. Among the living, the two sons residing at Tekonsha may be named as worthy sons of a worthy sire. There are in town two lawyers, two clergymen, one church edifice, nine school-houses-two of them graded schools. Value of school-houses about $31,000.

Michigan


Page 35