image
image

image
image
 

Michigan Towns

Select Towns

This town was better timbered than some of the adjoining ones, and for that reason, possibly, was not settled as rapidly. Immediate returns, were imperatively demanded by many who came into this new country with only means enough to bring them and locate a quarter section. Very few came as did Lemuel L. Downs in 1839, with abundant means to purchase large tracts of land, erect ample buildings, and put under immediate cultivation an entire quarter section. The same year John VanVleet arrived with some means which he invested in land, and continued to add to his broad acres, year after year, until he became the largest land owner in the town. Both of the above named gentlemen died many years ago. The religious and educational interests of the settlers were successfully looked after by Prof. Eastman, Deacon Daniel Merrill, Benjamin Chamberlain, Granville Beardsley, L. L. Downs and others. The result of this early attention to the improvement of the minds and hearts of her citizens has made this beautiful and productive town the home of intelligence and religion.
SHERIDAN
Held its first township meeting at the house of Reuben Abbott, April 5th 1836, and elected Chandler M. Church, supervisor; Howell Bidwell, town clerk and collector. The town offered a wolf bounty of $5. July 7th, 1831, Reuben Abbott entered 80 acres of land in this town. November llth, 1831, Nathan Pierce entered 191.69 acres of land in this town. November 6th, 1832, Samuel Camp entered 40 acres of land in this town. November 6th, 1832, Marvin Preston entered 40 acres of land in this town. June 26th, 1832, Daniel Rossiter entered 96.50 acres of land in this town.

Michigan


Page 34