image
image

image
image
 

Michigan Towns

Select Towns

LEE Held its first township meeting April 6th, 1840, and elected John Weaver, supervisor; Frederick Garfield, town clerk ; Jesse Ackley, treasurer; Benjamin Thomas, collector. Whole number of votes polled, twelve. No public lands entered in this town prior to 1834. One town house (at Lee Center), five organized churches, no church edifice, no mills, one doctor, no lawyer, one clergyman, one running stream, many lakes-Pardu and Lake of the Woods abound in fish. It is the poorest township of land in the county, and yet there are many fine farms, and many men have made themselves well off by farming. The timber is oak, black walnut, whitewood, beech, maple and cherry. On section twelve J. R. Partello built a saw-mill some years ago that did a large amount of business, and around it clustered several houses, one store, one tavern, a post office, and the usual number of mechanics' shops. The settlement now boasts of a cider-mill, a post office and a very small store. The mill and tavern, which were the life of the place, have ceased to be. There are eight school districts and eight school-houses. Value of the school-houses, $3,850. Children in attendance upon school last year, 348. The chief marketable commodities are wheat, wool, pork, wood and hay. Marshall is,the market town. The land is rolling, where not swampy. The first white child born in the town was Eliza J. Thomas. The town is a healthy one, notwithstanding the large number of marshes. The pioneers are Messrs. Wood, Thomas, Garfield, Hadden, Stanley, Miller, Hanchett, Carrier, etc.
Nicholas Stanley was killed by the caving in of a well. Amos Hadden still lives upon his farm. The two last named persona settled on section 36 in 1835. Sidney S. Alcott, of Marshall, erected a saw-mill on a small stream on section seven, which supplied Marshall with most of its whitewood lumber for years. It has rotted down, and the whitewood having been mostly used up, the mill has not been rebuilt.

Michigan


Page 12


 


image



Please consider making a donation to help offset expenses to keep this site online.
Thank you



image
image
image

Site Map | Chapter Index | MICHIGAN
Counties | Towns | The Blackhawk War | Southwestern michigan | Early Recollections | | Bagley | Eldorado | New Life | Navarre
Maxwell | Territorial Road| Pioneer Life | Battle Creek | Stebbins | William Burt | Pilcher | Chase | Lamb
image