image
image

image
image
 

BATTLE CREEK

BY A. D. P. VAN BUREN

He consequently selected eight acres of land covering the water-power, and congratulated himself that in this purchase he was buying a prospective village. He bought other lands in the vicinity and in other parts of the territory. He also, with Gov. Ransom, Sands McCamly, and Moses and Tolman W. Hall, purchased a tract of land now covered by the village of Augusta. They afterward dug the canal that constitutes the water-power there, erected mills, and thus really founded the town. Gen. Convis, in 1835, sold out his one-half interest in the Gurnsey property to Jonathan Hart and his brothers-in-law Abraham, Joseph, and Isaac Mer-rit, and gave his interest in the water-power at Battle Creek, to Sands McCamly, provided he would improve it. He now turned his entire attention to building up a town on his former purchase north of Battle Creek. Under his management he soon began to see the village that he had in contemplation, actually springing up about him. Let us contrast the busy scene going on there in 1838, under his supervision, with the one going on some mile and a half down the stream at the same time. They had then at Battle Creek, a saw-mill, grist-mill, blacksmith shop, tavern, and two stores; with a doctor, lawyer, and various mechanics. They had very much the same at the rival town, Verona. Dea. David N. Salter was running the saw-mill;

Michigan


Page 2


 


image



Please consider making a donation to help offset expenses to keep this site online.
Thank you



image
image
image

Site Map | Chapter Index | MICHIGAN
Counties | Towns | The Blackhawk War | Southwestern michigan | Early Recollections | | Bagley | Eldorado | New Life | Navarre
Maxwell | Territorial Road| Pioneer Life | Battle Creek | Stebbins | William Burt | Pilcher | Chase | Lamb
image