image
image

image
image
 

BATTLE CREEK

BY A. D. P. VAN BUREN

PEN PICTURES OF OUR PIONEERS—HEROIC BUT INEFFECTUAL STRUGGLE OF VERONA TO OUTSTRIP BATTLE CREEK

Gen. Ezra Convis, of Silver Creek, Chautauqua county, New York, in company with Nedebiah Angell, visited Michigan some time in 1832. They examined the location at Battle Creek and prospected about the county and returned to their homes well pleased with their new land. Mr. Convis's brother Samuel came the same season and made a permanent location at Battle Creek. Early in the spring of 1833 his family, together with the families of Nathaniel Barney and Nedebiah Angell, came to Battle Creek, occupying the block-house that Gurnsey had built and which stood near the site of the late Wm. M. Campbell's residence. Gen. Convis himself came in July, 1834. He at once became interested in the affairs of the young colony, and took an active part in its enterprises. He, in connection with Mr. Barney, his father-in-law, became owner of one-half of what is known as the "Gurnsey purchase, " a tract of over eight hundred acres of land lying within the present limits of the city of Battle Creek. Here was a new and inviting field for one of Mr. Convis's active turn of mind, and he began the work in earnest. He also cast about him to see what kind of a country he had pitched his tent. In taking views afoot of the region about his new home, he found a desirable location some mile and a half above the mouth of the Battle Creek, which included the rapids in the stream at that point. Here he at once saw that a water-power could bo obtained, and also that in this locality there was the making of a town.

Michigan


Page 1


 






Please consider making a donation to help keep these sites alive.
Thank you



image
image
image

Site Map | Chapter Index | MICHIGAN
Old Capitol | Female College | Early Press 2| My Michigan |County Bar | County BarII | County Bar III | Asylum | Bazil | Ohio Boundary | Western Michigan | John Barry | Wyandotte | Port Huron | Saginaw Valley
image