image
image

image
image
 

HISTORY OF ALPENA COUNTY

BY WILLIAM BOULTON IN 1876


CHURCHES The Baptist Society was first organized October 25th, 1867, with Rev. F. N. Barlow as first pastor. The present pastor is the Rev. W. C. Learned. The church is situated on the corner of Third and Lockwood streets, and was built in 1868. It is capable of seating 250 persons. The number of members is 167, of which 149 are resident. Services are held every Sunday, morning and evening. Prayer meeting on Thursday evening. In connection with the church there is a prosperous Sunday-school, with Mr. F. S. Goodrich as superintendent, assisted by sixteen teachers.
St. Bernard's Church (catholic) was established May llth. 1869. The two years preceding, it had been under the charge of the Rev. P. B. Murray, as a missionary station. The Rev. Murray was the first pastor, but his place is now occupied by the Rev. Van Ginnipp. The church is situated on Chisholm street, between Third and Fourth streets. In connection with the society is both Sunday and week day school. Services every Sunday at 8: 30 A. M., 10: 30 A. M., and at 7 P. M. Sermon in English in the morning, and in French in the evening.
The Episcopal Society was organized February 1st, 1865, and the first service held July 9th, 1865, Rev. G. O. Bachman officiating as the first rector. Mr. Bachman remained in charge 18 months when he was relieved by the Rev. H. H. Brown, who had charge 6 months. Prior to 1868 there were 72 baptisms. The present rector, the Rev. W. W. Rafter, took charge of the parish in June, 1868. Since Mr. Rafter took charge of the parish there have been 84 confirmations and 195 baptisms. This would make the membership of the church about 300. Trinity church was built in 1867. The first services being held on Christmas. During the summer of 1869 the church was enlarged. Adjoining the church is a large and handsome rectory, worth $6, 300. The church is valued at $4. 350, and both church and rectory were erected by the aid furnished by the citizens of Alpena. Services every Sunday morning and evening; on all Saints' days and festivals, and a daily service during the Lenten season. There is a Sunday-school in connection with the church.

ALPENA COUNTY MICHIGAN


Page 1


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
Alpena County is in 3 sections your are in section 3.
Section 1
Section 2
 






Please consider making a donation to help keep these sites alive.
Thank you



image
image
image

Site Map | Chapter Index | MICHIGAN
Old Capitol | Female College | Early Press 2| My Michigan |County Bar | County BarII | County Bar III | Asylum | Bazil | Ohio Boundary | Western Michigan | John Barry | Wyandotte | Port Huron | Saginaw Valley
image