image
image

image
image
 

HISTORY OF ALPENA COUNTY

BY WILLIAM BOULTON IN 1876

Mr. Geo. N. Fletcher was scaling. The officer worked a short time and soon after set up a sign with J. B. Tuttle marked upon it.
Of the mills built during the year 1865, Mr. Geo. F. Lewis in his history of Alpena says as follows: "In 1865 the Harrington steam saw-mill, the largest and best in the Alpena district, was built; the steam mill above the dam owned by B. H. Campbell & Co.; a large water mill five miles up the river, owned by H. Broadwell; another large water mill two miles above the latter, owned by J. Trowbridge & Brothers, who built a steam saw-mill on the bay the same year, and L. M. Mason & Co. completed the first water mill commenced by Lockwood in 1858, putting in a muley saw. two shingle and one lath machines. "
Some changes have taken place since Mr. Lewis wrote the above. The Harrington mill is now owned by Hilliard, Churchill & Co.. and still continues to be the best, and among other improvements introduced by the present firm is their furnace for burning slabs and other mill refuse. The water mills of Broadwell and Trowbridge have not been running for some time, and the Steam mill built by Trowbridge on the bay shore has disappeared entirely. During 1865 the following act was passed by the State legislature: Sec. 1. —That there shall be laid out and established, by the commissioners to be appointed by the Governor, upon the most direct and eligible route, being the places hereinafter designated, the following state roads:

Michigan


Page 24


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
Alpena County is in 3 sections your are in section 1.
Section 2
Section 3
 






Please consider making a donation to help keep these sites alive.
Thank you



image
image
image

Site Map | Chapter Index | MICHIGAN
Old Capitol | Female College | Early Press 2| My Michigan |County Bar | County BarII | County Bar III | Asylum | Bazil | Ohio Boundary | Western Michigan | John Barry | Wyandotte | Port Huron | Saginaw Valley
image